Thursday, June 7, 2018

Ready

Yesterday, we had our last fellowship class before we head out to the fields in 10 days. It was the last time Keith and Thane (our two instructors) and the 18 fellows would be in the same room until August. It was a surreal moment; in ten+ weeks, we had received a crash course in social entrepreneurship, business models, had countless meetings with various mentors, enterprise connections, Keith and Thane, and it’s all finally coming together. We turn in our Action Research Plan tonight, and it’s 95% done. The only unwritten 5% is my paragraph on vocational discernment. Of course.

We talked about being lifelines for our partners while in the field; communication is important, and in a foreign place away from all the things we are familiar and comfortable with, we will need to open up and be honest with each other about our highs, lows, and black holes. The word “vulnerable” came up. I’m looking forward to it -- maybe that’s what been missing here in the Bay Area, where vulnerability is often looked down upon as a weakness. But everyone is needy, and it’s ok to be scared, sad, and confused sometimes. That’s why we have lifelines we can depend on. 

In the final five minutes of class, Thane and Keith sent us off with a few words. Thane read us two poems, and one of them is below: 

“The Way it is” by William Stafford

There’s a thread you follow. It goes among
things that change. But it doesn’t change.
People wonder about what you are pursuing.
You have to explain about the thread.
But it is hard for others to see.
While you hold it you can’t get lost.
Tragedies happen; people get hurt
or die; and you suffer and get old.
Nothing you do can stop time’s unfolding.
You don’t ever let go of the thread.

I don’t remember the second poem because this one resonated with me. I am holding onto a thread even though it’s been especially difficult recently, and people have gotten hurt. It’s hard to explain, and some people don’t understand, but my thread is what keeps me from getting lost. My thread is God's unconditional love for me. What's your thread?

Keith prayed a prayer of blessing and protection (he’s a Franciscan), and I really appreciated it. I'm sure we'll need it. 

And projects, performances, and presentations keep happening (no finals for me this quarter!). But all these pale in comparison to the work I'm doing in preparation for this summer. Is this what it means to have priorities? 

Anyway, got to get back to work (and that vocational discernment paragraph). Thank you for reading; I wouldn't be able to do this without your love, support, and prayers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finished

 Just sent off all our deliverables to Tugende, and I can’t help but smile. Our work is pretty much complete. As promised, here’s our Social...