Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Sipi Falls

We took last Friday off of work to go to Sipi Falls, and it took an entire day to travel to Mbale. But to be fair, I spent four hours waiting for people, helping others check out because they forgot, and we ended up taking the noon bus to Mbale (which we almost didn’t make). It’s fine. I’m not going to miss waiting for people and being taken for granted.

We reached Mbale around 6 and checked into Traveler’s Inn that Kristi and Efren recommended when they came a few weeks ago. The place was really nice! We got local food for dinner and sat on the rooftop to watch the lunar eclipse. The moon slowly disappeared behind the earth’s shadow, and it was crazy to just sit and chat for four hours. It was a very relaxing way to end the long day.

After breakfast, we drove an hour to Sipi Falls. We checked into Sipi Falls Lodge, and look at the hut that we slept in!
The Hut

We settled in, and Rogers our guide took us on a six hour hike to the three waterfalls in the park. We walked through lots of villages with lots of banana, corn, and coffee plants. This is another post that I just need to let the pictures speak for themselves. So here:
Sipi Falls

Hiking

Deep Thinkers

Water Falling

Then we went abseiling next to the waterfall. I had no idea what that meant, but basically you have a rope tied around your waist, and you are slowly let down 110 meters next to the waterfall. The view was stunning, and pictures cannot do justice to the feeling of being dropped down into the middle of a rainbow created by the mist from the waterfall.

Let me down!

 Can you see me?

God is so, so good to me. Even the sunset was amazing. The clouds were just right to create the colours. I don’t know how much more spoiled I can be…
Sipi Sunset 

And I love Huda because she has a fantastic iPhone 8 camera (with portrait mode!) and is not afraid to take too many pictures. Not gonna lie but I take great pictures of her, too. Actually, she’s just a beautiful model and poses well.
With the Beautiful Photographer

We woke up the next morning at 5:30 to watch the sunrise. I love seeing colours come to life and watching the world light up under the sun. But I don’t have any good pictures because Huda didn’t go haha.

After breakfast, we went on a coffee tour. We learned to make coffee from beginning to end. It was cool! More pics:
Coffee Beans

Human Coffee Grinder

Better than Peet's

We also met a tour guide named Job this weekend. He helped us with abseiling and taught us how to dance after dinner Saturday night. It was so much fun, and I doubt he usually gets to do this with other tourists who come to Sipi. We had to say goodbye to him after our coffee tour, and he looked so sad; he went inside the reception even before we left. It felt like a withdrawal...  What is it like to say goodbye every single day, and never see the people you meet again? And risk being a fading memory to them… This small incident reminded me that I need to treasure every interaction I have. I won’t know how God will use the various conversations and experiences to share His love.

Job

On our way back, we stopped in Jinja to get lunch and meet Bashir. The rest of the story is in the previous post ("A Day as a Tugende Credit Officer").

Oh man, my mom just sent me the worship songs we sang at the Hillsong service last year  in Australia. I’m so excited to go back down under, another country beautiful in its own way. But I’m still in Uganda for 36 hrs, and it’s becoming real!

I don’t know if I’ll have time to blog again before we leave, but brief work update: we reached 301 surveys, PTL! And we entered all the data. Also had a round of intellectual property drama but it’s all fine now. It was funny for everyone around us but not so funny for me and Joe. From my point of view, John Henry still doesn’t understand that we're fellows and not employees of Tugende. That’s why he was offended and somehow thought there was “an unfair representation of [his] integrity.” But “Gosh this is sure different from what we agreed to under the tree on July 13.” Thanks for bailing us out, Keith.


OK, I need to go and pack. It’s our last night at Bushpig, and it’s been a good time. See you all very, very soon :) Nkusubwa nyoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finished

 Just sent off all our deliverables to Tugende, and I can’t help but smile. Our work is pretty much complete. As promised, here’s our Social...