Friday, July 13, 2018

Put Into Perspective

Keith (the director of GSBF) was in Kampala this week! We chatted for two hours about all our problems, and he responded with lots of anecdotes and stories about past fellows and their experiences. He encouraged us in our work, affirmed that we’re doing ok, and challenged us to keep the big picture in mind. We’re ultimately undergraduate doing some crazy research that grad students would never do because they are too cynical and theoretical (or are just wiser and foresee all these problems we didn’t). He also reminded us that this is only seven weeks of a nine-month fellowship. Yes we’re running around trying to collect as much data as possible, but we shouldn’t forget to look at the bigger picture of social impact, and start thinking about how Uganda (specifically, Tugende), will be more prepared to demonstrate its social impact in the future.
Safe and Hygenic!

Edgar got sick this week, and that wasn’t good because we really need him on our team! It reminded us to take care of ourselves, not just run around for 8 hours on Clif bars and sodas (and no water). He's fine now and we surveyed lots of drivers yesterday and today.  Keith pointed out that this research is very much a collaborative process: Joe and I wouldn’t be able to do anything without Peace and Edgar, and they wouldn’t be able to conduct this project without us. But it’s definitely interesting to be part of something new that has never been done before! I mean, in our literature analysis, we didn’t fine any reports analyzing how asset-based micro-finance helps people post-loan. That probably didn’t make sense. But anyway. Here’s a map we made Tuesday afternoon to help us figure out where all the subcounties are. I’m pretty proud of the colour coding and alphabetized list haha.
Too Small to Read

Peace, Joe, and I worked together as one team to talk to drivers. We wanted to hit as many drivers as possible so we met early, only to wait under an awning for 30 minutes while we waited for the thunderstorm to pass. Boda boda drivers disappear when it starts to rain, so we just sat and watched water pour from the sky. When the storm passed, we continued walking to the stages. The drivers are always really nice to us (because we look different? haha), and they’re even happier when they see us with sodas. The first few drivers offered to take us to nearby stages with completed Tugende clients and waited in the shower while we interviewed the others. Of course we had to pay, but it’s fine. We can afford a couple thousand shillings.

After lunch, the three of us headed to Central Kampala for more drivers. The first driver we talked to was the stage leader and he kept bringing more and more Tugende clients to us. During down time, we chatted with him and he was really funny and friendly! He asked about Trump, what village I’m from, and if Joe and I were from the same tribe. He didn’t believe that I was American (but nobody does) and single. I don’t think I’ve laughed this much between M-F 8:30am - 5:30pm here in Africa. By the end of the day, we had 25 interviews (a pretty good number!), and it was hard to believe that we had started out the day in the rain. God is good <3 And here are some pictures of these interviews. I really should be hired as a photographer.
Attentive Listener

It's Cold and Rainy (and that's my jacket)

"Olinayo...?" ("Do you have...?")

We had an amazing week of data collection. We now have almost 150 surveys from Tugende clients! It's crazy to see how faithful God is when we give up our day to Him :) We're travelling to Jinja next week to talk to Tugende clients there for a fuller picture of Tugende's impact.

Our week ended with a farewell party for the head of the Business Intelligence team, Lucy. She’s an expat from London who has worked for Tugende for three years, and it’s now time for her to move on. It’s difficult to imagine what life will be like in three years… My one-on-one with Keith focused a lot on vocational discernment, and trying to figure out where in the world I want to be. The long walks between stages with Edgar also elicit many conversations about plans for the future. He tells me all about the many plans he has: work for a Big Four in London, get two PhD’s, own a farm in Sororti… And when he asks me what my plans are, I am lost for words. Peet’s? Math tutor? I spent four years in high school trying to get into a good college, and I’m about to spend four more years in college trying to… [fill in the blank]. Find myself? Have fun? Learn? Experience life? Find my calling.

But I get so caught up in the day-to-day activities that I forget to pause and breathe in the beauty that surrounds me. I’ve been quite cynical and annoyed by many things here in Uganda, but I’ve failed to consciously appreciate the things I know I’ll miss here when I go home. Boda boda rides (without helmets!), the freedom to pray before and during work, the children that smile and wave at me, Hillsong music that plays in the malls (not just on Sundays), the warmth of the Ugandan people… But I guess I just have an irrational fear of making decisions, knowing that I can plan as much as I want only to have God say, “Nope! That’s not what I have planned for you.”


I don’t know. This post wasn’t supposed to end this way. But when everything is put into perspective, all that really matters is that we keep our eyes on Jesus, love God, and love the people He has put in our lives.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Finished

 Just sent off all our deliverables to Tugende, and I can’t help but smile. Our work is pretty much complete. As promised, here’s our Social...