Sunday, July 1, 2018

Safari!

We went to Murchison Falls National Park this weekend, and I had my favourite time in Uganda so far :) We got off of work early on Friday so we could drive to the park. Traffic leaving Kampala was awful, but after we hit the Kampala-Murchison Road, almost all was smooth sailing. We watched the city give way to green fields of corn, scattered brick houses, tropical trees, and less and less children waving to us. 

We stayed at Palm Gardens Guest House, and I am blown away by the people’s hospitality. I got a call earlier from Ronnie, our driver, asking if there were any vegetarians in the group. It turned out the hostesses at the hostel cooked chicken curry for us and prepared a side of vegetable curry just for Sammi (she’s vegan). Ronnie is also super thoughtful! He bought shower shoes and towels for us because the campsite we were staying at on the second night didn't provide any (and he didn't think we would bring them). We didn't end up showering that night, but I have never met a person (much less a driver) who is so kind to people he barely even knows. When I grow up, I want to be as joyful, hospitable, and loving as him. 
Our Amazing Driver, Ronnie

This post really shouldn’t have too many words. Once we got into the National Park, we drove to the top of the world’s most powerful waterfall: Murchison Falls. 300 cubic meters of water pass through the width of 6-7 meters every second, and it is so much more powerful than the ocean. We got a shower at the top of the falls!
 Murchison Falls

All Wet

After lunch, we went on a river cruise on the Nile. We saw so many animals! Including the ones in the picture below (from Huda’s iPhone 8+). We also saw a giant crocodile up close, but the video of it running into the water won't load so remind me to show you when I get back. The Dutch couple with the fancy cameras took a picture of us when we got as close as safety allowed.
Elephant, Hippo, and Bee-eater

Murchison Falls from Afar

Our 2.5 hr river cruise brought us back down river, where we went on a safari with a ranger! In addition to thousands of antelopes and buffaloes, we saw lots of elephants, giraffes, and three lionesses. We were SO CLOSE. It was really amazing! 

What are ya lookin at?

It's a Lioness!

Giraffes

The stars were big and bright when we pulled into the campsite where we stayed overnight. We saw satellites, shooting stars, and glimpsed the Milky Way (sorry, no picture). In the morning, we crossed the River at sunrise to leave the park. We slowly drove through the savannah, then the woodland, then the rainforest. Pictures cannot capture the feeling of being in the open. And don’t tell Miller Center, but we had the best seats on the Landcruiser.
Sunrise

Better than Shotgun

This short weekend opened my eyes to the greatness (in size) our world. I have never seen so much land all at once, and we were driving for so long! I’ve also never seen so, so many animals. The Bible says that God cares for even the sparrows, and I never realized how many animals He cares for, on top of the 7+ billions humans that live on earth. But He does, and I am humbled that He chooses to bless me with such an incredible experience.  Huda said she’s shook. I’m blown away. What a creative, majestic, and beautiful God. I wonder how people can visit these places and not worship the Creator.
Colours

Through this trip, I also realized how delicate I am. Ronnie commented that first-time visitors are delicate; the first experience either makes or breaks their experience. I absolutely loved this trip, but I also learned that I can’t live in the wilderness. Every bathroom that flushes and has toilet paper brings a sigh of relief, and I am glad we have showers that don’t have cockroaches (dead or alive). I acknowledge that some Ugandans live in awful conditions, but I didn’t grasp the reality until this weekend. But no, I really don’t understand what it’s like to live with no running water and no electricity in a house the size of my bathroom. We are all created equal, but not with equal opportunity, and I don't know how to handle that.


Well, it’s back at the office again tomorrow morning. It’s difficult to focus after seeing the world this weekend, but as my aunty always says, one must play hard and work hard. I played hard, and it’s again time to work hard. Thanks for reading. Enjoy a picture of the Nile River!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finished

 Just sent off all our deliverables to Tugende, and I can’t help but smile. Our work is pretty much complete. As promised, here’s our Social...